Kinder Morgan Was Branching Out—APP Lent a Helping Hand
THE BIG PICTURE
team members received installation training
weeks from order to delivery of APP products
APP ProTek and CryoTek Pipe Shoes used
|PRODUCT||APP ProTek Wear Pads, ProTek Pipe Shoes,
U-Bolts and CryoTek Pipe Shoes
- In order to meet new regulations, the “mini refinery” on the Houston Ship Channel was designed to export 100,000 barrels of crude oil per day.
- The project consisted of two splitter units; additionally, storage capacity for 1.5 million barrels was built at the Galena Park terminal.
- APP CryoTek Technology was used on all insulated pipelines larger than 16" diameter.
AS REGULATIONS SHIFTED, BP’S SPLITTER PROJECT TIMELINE SPED UP
Kinder Morgan’s petroleum condensate processing facility was designed to consist of two units, each equipped to split condensate into its various components, including light and heavy naphtha, gas oil, kerosene, and diesel. It was also designed with further expansion in mind, depending on market interest. The larger pipes (and pipe shoes) required for this project were new ground for Kinder Morgan — they knew they wanted to avoid metallic pipe shoes since shipping and installation times were a major concern. APP worked with them to identify the composite pipe shoes that would handle the heat and pressure the refinery pipes would contain, and met the three-month project deadline.
THE APP ANSWER
APP took on a consultant role for this project — Kinder Morgan was familiar with APP products as used in transport projects, but were looking for processing plant solutions. APP helped define the sizes and specs for the CryoTek and ProTek Pipe Shoes that would provide a nonmetallic solution for the entire project.
- APP performed installation training with 20 Kinder Morgan/BP team members, ensuring fast and efficient installation.
- Stormy December weather destroyed some project components that were stored outdoors, leading to increased costs—but not APP’s pipe shoes, which are impervious to the weather and require no special storage.
- Through the use of APP products, Kinder Morgan was able to avoid the cost of in-field welding.