One of Colombia’s Major Refineries Doubles Output; Defeats Corrosion
THE BIG PICTURE
ProTek Wear Pads installed
Reficar employees provided with Spanish-language installation training
Ecopetrol Reficar's output
|PRODUCT||ProTek Composite Wear Pads|
- State-owned Ecopetrol (part of the Fortune 500 Global) is the largest petroleum company in Colombia and one of four principal petroleum companies in Latin America.
- The new configuration, including hydrocracking, hydrotreating, catalytic reforming, and coking capacity, enabled the refinery to handle up to 90,000 barrels per day (bpd) of acidic crudes and 180,000 barrels total.
- APP provided 45,000+ ProTek Wear Pads to support the facility’s expansion and replace legacy solutions.
AN EXPANDED FACILITY CALLED FOR TOUGH, CORROSION-RESISTANT MEASURES
Ecopetrol’s Reficar, one of Colombia’s largest refineries, faces serious temperature and climate issues—poised at the edge of jungle terrain and bordering coastal waters, it’s a perfect storm of corrosion conditions. The heat, humidity, and extreme marine conditions converged to create long-running corrosion-related problems for this facility, which was built in 1950. Ecopetrol planned to simultaneously complete their expansion project while performing improvements on existing facilities.
Ecopetrol was ready to make a significant investment in infrastructure in order to increase output and streamline operations.
THE APP ANSWER
APP looked beyond the plant’s physical needs for expansion, providing Spanish-language installation support that would ensure the ProTek Wear Pad’s lasting success.
- Wear pads represented a corrosion solution that counteracted the “continual painting” of the facility that was one legacy measure to counteract oxidation.
- APP delivered Spanish-language installation literature, presentations, and video instructions to ensure positive installation outcomes.
- APP performed on-site Spanish-language installation and inspection training for 200+ Reficar employees.